Tuesday, November 10, 2009

T-SHIRTS EAGLES AND TUNES

Creating a symbol with a punctual and immediate readability has been troubling for me. My first ideas seemed to centralize on an abrasive, irreverent, and often offensive aesthetic. Namely, my idea to create a shirt with the American symbol of the Bald eagle on the front and on the back, a white trash man wearing a shirt with the same iconic animal. Aside from being the perfect excuse to make an animal shirt, although i already own plenty, this shirt was meant to be an interpretation of the world's opinion of our nation, and how the most outspoken of individuals native to our nation aren't always the most progressive or open-minded people. Though i do still like this idea and its inherent edgy qualities, i am not a digital artist in any regard and executing this design would definitely require some skill in that field. The idea that i've decided upon now is a bit more personal for me. The issue i'm choosing to tackle is the digital distribution.
I'm not entirely opposed to this advancement in the way we buy and use media. As a gamer and an admirer of radical futurism, digital distribution excites me. I can buy games online and download them instantly without the fuss of going to a game shop, and the fact that i can download essentially any form of media from the internet is an enthralling one. However, as a music listener, digital distribution frightens me a bit. I'm not saying i'm not guilty for having bought songs and albums on Itunes, but the way in which the mainstream consumer is buying and downloading music concerns me. This all stems from my love and appreciation of the musical album and its potential as a singular work of art. Peoples tastes in music are becoming increasingly segmented and episodic, relying on engines like Itunes to sift through albums to purchase only the singles and popular tracks rather than the album itself. In this way i believe the album is being, slowly but surely, fazed out all together. I'm just postulating and i hope I'm wrong but i wouldn't be surprised if the majority of music released in the future was on singles or EPs.
Its this idea that I am designing my T off of. I've been juggling ideas but one that keeps popping up in my head is as follows: Itunes logo on front. Itunes logo on back only this time with a face drawn on it (perhaps a coy little smile) with a small amount of blood dripping from it's corner, and below it fragments (crumbs) of LPs and CDs.
Thats what i got. We shall see how things play out. Pun intended unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment